Oh the holidays… That time of year when our love for one another and generosity of spirit are often frustrated by the challenge of finding a proper gift for the collectors in our lives. Let’s face it, if your are not a collector yourself, it can be a truly difficult task to find a meaningful gift for someone who enjoys the hobby. And I don’t know about you, but I have received my share of completely useless sports memorabilia gifts from people who love me and truly thought that they were giving me something that I would enjoy. It can become an awkward exchange for both the giver and receiver.
There are, however, plenty of hobby-related gifts that would be almost universally appreciated by collectors and I am happy to help steer people towards some of my favorites.
GIFTS FOR AUTOGRAPH COLLECTORS
- Stamps and Envelopes – Necessary elements for the TTM (through the mail) autograph hunt.
- Pens – Sharpies, Staedtler and ballpoint pens are the writing instruments of choice for most hobbyists.
- Balls/Mini Helmets/Pucks/Autograph Media – Depending on a collector’s tastes, balls and other items to get signed are easy to purchase and always useful.
- SportsCollectors.Net Membership – This is an excellent website and online community for autograph collectors.
- Meiselman List – These extensive lists of mailing addresses are used by TTM autograph collectors.
GIFTS FOR CARD COLLECTORS
- Card Savers – Whether you use them to store your cards or need them to submit cards for grading, Card Savers are always needed.
- PSA Membership – A one-year PSA Membership comes with grading vouchers, a subscription to the Sports Market Report and more.
- eBay Gift Cards – What could be more useful than a gift card to one of the greatest sources of cards and memorabilia in the world?
- SMR Subscription – An excellent source for articles, pricing and information about dealers and auction houses throughout the hobby.
- The following items would be excellent gifts for collectors who like to decorate their spaces with hobby items.
- Barrister Bookcases – Although not specifically designed for the hobby, these glass-doored bookcases are wonderful items for collectors as they can be used as a display case to show off cards and memorabilia, as a bookcase to house hobby publications, or a combination of the two.