With a big assist coming from the late, great Mickey Mantle, Professional Sports Authenticator (www.PSAcard.com) is happy to report that it once again certified tens of thousands of sports cards and autographs in 2018 including 10 of the most valuable sports collectibles sold at auction last year. With a combined value of $8.4 million, last year’s compilation of 10 high-priced, PSA-certified items is somewhat top heavy in vintage cardboard as four of Mantle’s iconic 1952 Topps #311 issue made the list. Mantle, the New York Yankees Hall of Fame slugger, seems to have surpassed the hobby’s longtime granddaddy – the coveted 1909-11 T206 Honus Wagner card – in terms of recent popularity.
The $2.88 million record sale of a 1952 Topps Mantle #311 (graded PSA Mint 9) last April triggered a wave of high-grade ’52 Mantles entering the auction circuit and selling for sky-high prices. Two other top-selling items that were authenticated and/or graded by PSA and/or PSA/DNA, its autograph authentication division, during the past year included Babe Ruth’s 1927 game used and signed record 60th home run bat ($660,000), and a baseball signed by all 11 members of the Baseball Hall of Fame’s 1939 inaugural class during that year’s opening ceremony in Cooperstown, New York ($623,369).
Here is the complete list, in order of top auction prices realized:
- 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 (graded PSA Mint 9): $2.88 million, Heritage Auctions (April 2018)
- 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 (graded PSA Near Mint-Mint 8.5): $810,000, Heritage Auctions (August 2018)
- 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle RC #253 (graded PSA Mint 9): $750,000, Heritage Auctions (April 2018)
- 1909-11 T206 Eddie Plank (graded PSA Ex-Mint 7): $690,000, Heritage Auctions (Sept. 2018)
- 1927 Babe Ruth Game Used and Signed Record 60th Home Run Bat Gifted to Legendary Performer and Collector Joe E. Brown (graded PSA/DNA GU 10): $660,000, Heritage Auctions (May 2018)
- 1909-11 T206 Sherry Magee “Magie” error (graded PSA Near Mint-Mint 8): $660,000, Heritage Auctions (Sept. 2018)
- 1939 Inaugural Baseball HOF Induction multi-signed baseball (PSA/DNA authenticated): $623,369, SCP Auctions (August 2018)
- 1948-49 Leaf Satchel Paige (graded PSA Near Mint-Mint 8): $432,000, Heritage Auctions (Nov. 2018)
- 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 (graded PSA Near Mint-Mint 8): $430,200, Heritage Auctions (Nov. 2018)
- 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 (graded PSA Near Mint-Mint 8): $420,000, Heritage Auctions (Nov. 2018)
You can bet that PSA is looking forward to authenticating and grading a slew of newly discovered sports collectibles in 2019!